Wednesday 25 December 2013

TITALI COWL

Sweet Nothings Crochet pattern blog, gorgeous pattern for a crochet cowl,
TITALI COWL

I am fascinated by the little butterfly. Its arduous life cycle goes from the egg to the caterpillar to the cocoon, and then finally emerging as this beautiful creature that actually bears no similarity to the earlier stages. And after all this ‘hard work’ the little thing flutters around barely for a month (if not caught before that)! Makes us take a good look at our lives, does it not? 
This cowl too has ‘layers’ and parts – so your cowl too starts out as a small ‘egg’ and then you slowly ‘build’ it up till you get the beautiful butterfly cowl.

The word tital (तितली) means butterfly in Hindi. 

This cowl has been inspired by that beautiful butterfly and is the next in my  “Inspired by Nature” series.


White tiger

During our recent trip to Urulikanchan, I was once again re-united with these lovely fluttery creatures (who are sadly missing from the urban concrete jungles that our suburbia is turning into).  I took several pictures, but sadly, none of them were good enough.  I then remembered our good friends Aloke Surin (http://accidentaltrekker.blogspot.in/and Franklyn Silveira, both fellow trekkers /  mountaineers and fantastic photographers.  They have very sweetly shared their (Indian) butterfly photographs with me. 

Bush brown

This pattern has been extensively tested using 
1. DK acrylic yarn from Oswal Mills, 50g (165 yds); 5 mm (H) hook ;
2. Filati Deluxe Francia (more like worsted weight than DK) , 175 meters, 50 grams 1 skein = 191.4 yards (175.0m), 5 mm (H) hook ; (Comment : Ths is a quick and easy project, each strip took me about 30-35 mins to make.)
3. Bernat Baby Coordinates (DK or #3 weight); 3 oz or 230 yards; Gauge 2 shells x 3 rows = 3.25” square, 5 mm (H) hook ; took about 6-8 hrs (with an injured finger)
4. Impeccable , 209 yds, 5mm (H) hook. Project completed in three hours
5. I Love This Yarn Sport Weight Sun Yellow, weight 3 , I/9 hook , 174m / 191yd ; Rated as Easy- Advanced
6. Red Heart Soft (Super Saver) , 0.25 skein, 5 mm (H) hook, completed in three hours.

I thank my Rav-testers for their time and eye for detail. I'd also like to thank my lovely model, Sejal, for patiently modelling for me and beautifying my project.


Sweet Nothings Crochet pattern blog, gorgeous pattern for a crochet cowl,

Feel free to make as many of these as you like for gifting, local craft fairs, auctions, raffles, bazaars, but please do not sell finished items online. 

If making for charity, please let me know the name of the charity & include my contact info with the item shyama.nivas@gmail.com or on Ravelry at   http://www.ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas
While this is a paid pattern, I have loads of free crochet patterns on my blog.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


Join me on YouTube at https://youtube.com/shyamanivas

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/


Have a great day and see you soon. 

Here are some of my other neckwear patterns