Saturday 17 February 2018

PIANO INSPIRED TISSUE BOX COVER

free crochet tissue box cover, free crochet piano tissue box cover, free crochet guitar motif, Indian polyester purse yarn, Black and white crochet patterns, free crochet home use pattern, free crochet patterns,

PIANO INSPIRED TISSUE BOX COVER

This is a pretty neat idea for a tissue box cover, isn’t it?  I am not sure if there is a crochet pattern for this.  So far, all I have seen are embroidered.

Thank you for joining me.
In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram. Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog.
Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.

Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation.  Cheers.  Enjoy

This (inspirational) photograph given by my client has been worked on plastic canvas with an embroidery needle – but I love challenges and think I can do just about anything in crochet ;)

I found a chart, but there was nothing that totally made this box.  So let’s figure this out together, shall we? Come along..

Oh, you do know that you can access all my older blogs through the labels on the right hand side of this blog, don’t you? 

Materials used :Today I’ve used just under two cones each of black and white of our local Indian polyester purse yarn with a 3 mm crochet hook
General material info : Polyester purse yarn is not available outside India.  However, I’d say you can use any yarn with a suitable hook to make this lovely project. 

Skill level : Intermediate to Advanced

Size made : L : 21 1/2 cm ; H 9 1/2 cm ; W 11 1/2 cm
This project can be made to any size.                 

Abbreviations used :
sc : single crochet              dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                           ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                          rep : Repeat


Stitches used :
Starting slip knot : Here’s how you start with a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw 

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot : This is a neat new way to start your work without a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs 

Instructions using U.S terminology
Please note that I start all my rows with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials on all stitches used in today's pattern.  For your convenience there video tutorials through the blog too
Please read through all my notes before you pick up your hook, so you know just where we're heading in our pattern.
In my patterns I work with the principle of stitch count and body measurement.  
This means that you need to work the stitch count in pattern, till you get the measurement (length and/or width) that you need for your project.  

For this project, I have been inspired by this free piano key scarf pattern

I also have a chart that you could use if that works better for you.  
The chart is for the whole piano tissue box cover project. 
Check the end of this blog for the chart.

As there are several sizes for tissue box covers, and you can work this pattern using any yarn and hook, I am not giving stitch numbers / counts.  This blog will give you ideas but no specific stitch count

The chart I found has the piano with a rose on top.  My client wanted a guitar, so here’s what I have done... and as you can see, she's thrilled with the project and has sent me some cute photos :)

free crochet tissue box cover, free crochet piano tissue box cover, free crochet guitar motif, Indian polyester purse yarn, Black and white crochet patterns, free crochet home use pattern, free crochet patterns,

free crochet tissue box cover, free crochet piano tissue box cover, free crochet guitar motif, Indian polyester purse yarn, Black and white crochet patterns, free crochet home use pattern, free crochet patterns,

You need to have the Length / Width and Height of your tissue box ready on hand.  You can make this to fit any sized box.
We will work three elements for our box.
A) We will be working the black and white piano keys along the
front length of the tissue box ;
B) We will work the top of the tissue box, with a small opening (for tissues to be plied out of) ;
C) We will work three plain sides for the box.
I have chosen to make the top and sides of my piano black, and of course keys are black and white – but do go ahead and use your creativity for your project.

Just two important reminders –
a)   Keep your tissue box handy at all times
b)   Keep a note of the number of stitches you are using for Parts A and B, as you need then when working Part C.

Part 1 : Piano
A)  Front & Length of the box : Piano key pattern

free crochet tissue box cover, free crochet piano tissue box cover, free crochet guitar motif, Indian polyester purse yarn, Black and white crochet patterns, free crochet home use pattern, free crochet patterns,

For this part, I have worked in black & white yarn.
I have worked my full pattern in sc, but you can use any stitch you want – depending on how quick you want the complete the project and what yarn you are using.  I feel that the smaller stitches (sc and hdc) will make the project look neater – and even though it takes time, it will be well worth it.

For the piano keys, I have used the pattern from the link above. 
If the pattern works for you stitch-wise, great!
If it does not, all you need to do is work the length needed (in white yarn) and then divide it equally to get the black stitch in. 
So say 20 sts (as given for the scarf) does not work, and you need 30 stitches to get the length – then you work 15 sts in white and 15 in black when you are working the black key row.  Besides this, just work the pattern as given.
That sorts the length.

For the width of your box, obviously, you will only work the pattern along till you get the width needed for your tissue box.  Easy enough, right? 

B)   Top of the box : with opening for tissue

free crochet tissue box cover, free crochet piano tissue box cover, free crochet guitar motif, Indian polyester purse yarn, Black and white crochet patterns, free crochet home use pattern, free crochet patterns,

For this part, I have used all black. 
So for this section, you need to figure out the size of the opening. 
May I suggest that you keep the tissue box handy – so you get the opening just right.

i)                   Start with the same number of stitches that you have worked for the length of the box (For Part A – i.e Piano key side).
ii)                 Work 1 sc in each st all the way till the end.
iii)               Check how many rows you think you’d need to reach the opening on your tissue box.
iv)              Place markers for the opening, and work 1 sc in each st till you reach the opening.  You will then turn and work only on these few stitches from the end of work to the 1st marker.
v)                Work on these stitches till you complete one end of the opening.  Fasten off, leaving a small tail.
vi)              Re-attach your yarn for the 2nd side at the 2nd marker.  Work the same number of rows as you have for the 1st side.  Once you work the same number of rows on both sides, you need to work a chain to join the 1st and 2nd sides of your work.
vii)            For the chain, count the number of stitches you have skipped between the two markers.  These are the number of chain you will work now, and then join the chain to the 1st piece with a sl-st.
viii)          Now you have two side pieces, and one long chain in between.  Work 1 sc in each sc of the 1st side piece, 1 sc in each ch, and 1 sc in each of the sc in the 2nd piece.
ix)               To complete the top portion, you will once again work the same number of rows as you did at the start.  So say you worked 6 rows and then split for the opening, you will once again work 6 rows now.
x)                 Fasten off and weave in ends.  You have completed the top for the box.


C)   Sides of the box
For this part, I have used all black.

So for this section, I have made three separate rectangles – two each for the sides and one for the back.  Once again, keep the tissue box handy.
The sides are worked for the height of the box (same number of rows as you worked for Part A – front and length) and same number of rows as you worked for the top of the box (Part B).
So say you worked 15 rows for Part A, and 10 rows for Part B, the two sides here will be 15 x 10 rows.  This means that you will start with 10 fsc (that will determine the width of your side piece, and work up 15 rows to match the front height. Got it?
For the one back section, you will work the same number of rows and stitches as you worked for the front Part A.


Part 2 : Guitar

free crochet tissue box cover, free crochet piano tissue box cover, free crochet guitar motif, Indian polyester purse yarn, Black and white crochet patterns, free crochet home use pattern, free crochet patterns,


Chart


I am sure you enjoyed this!  I know I did... creativity at its best!
Please remember to credit the original designer (for the paino key scarf , guitar and / or the chart) when you share your work, and if you have gained anything from my blog write up, I’d appreciate a thumbs up credit as well J

Do come back right here for more freebie patterns

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  
 
I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/

 
Join me on YouTube at https://youtube.com/shyamanivas 

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/

 
Have a great day and see you soon. 

Here are some of other interesting miscellaneous home-use creations. 
Have fun with these free patterns too