Sunday 11 January 2015

RIBBON BRAID CLUTCH

Sweet Nothings crochet free crochet pattern blog ; this blog has has a video tutorial for basic crochet stitches as well as the stitch used for this clutch purse ; this photo shows the outside of the clutch purse ;Sweet Nothings crochet free crochet pattern blog ; this blog has has a video tutorial for basic crochet stitches as well as the stitch used for this clutch purse ; this photo shows the inside of the clutch purse ;
 
RIBBON BRAID CLUTCH 

I thought I’d make a clutches /bag or two to take as gifts in my upcoming trip, I find that this is so much fun and quick that I’ve decided to go through my yarn and to-do list.  This is a really easy pattern for a clutch purse and the pattern is so good that I think it can be used for a scarf and shawl as well.. but that’s for another day.

Thank you for joining me.

In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.

Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog

Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.


All my blogs can be printed.  Find the printer friendly (green) link on the right side of this blog.  You can also hit Control P (or Command P for Mac) on your keyboard, and the blog will go directly to the connected printer.

Remember that you only print if absolutely essential.  Save paper – Save Our Earth. 


Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation. 

Just copy the link on the search bar above - that's the blog URL.


To purchase this or similar yarn online, click the highlighted links below to buy your yarns online via Amazon.  While you will still pay the same, I may get paid by Amazon as well. 

This is a free blog - so do pay it forward for me.  Cheers.


Materials used : polyester silk purse yarn in cones ~ one cone , with a 4 mm crochet hook ; embroidery needle sewing needle ; fabric glue to seal ends ; crochet stitch markers 

For Indians You could use Red rose , 4-ply knitting cotton , or unbranded knitting cotton or White Rose or bamboo knitting cotton , Milk cotton ; Silk yarns  ; Baby soft acrylic yarn , Ganga Spectrum as well as Vardhaman as well as Oswal acrylic yarns

General yarn info : The yarn used today is not specific to this pattern.
You can use any yarn with a suitable hook to make this project to any size.
     
International yarns :  Among the international yarns I have used in this thickness, I’d suggest Aunt Lydia Cotton 10, Aunt Lydia Bamboo-Viscose 10, DMC Petra, Sullivans knitting cotton (Australia), Milford Soft, Hilaza Rustica Eclat , Alize cotton yarn and Alize bamboo yarn , Lily Sugar n' Cream cotton yarn, Caron Simply Soft , Bernat Softee chunky.


Stitches used :
Starting slip knot : https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw 

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot : https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs

What is a chain stitch ?  https://youtu.be/pXx5ukBjKkY 

What is a slip stitch : https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

How to hold your yarn in crochet : https://youtu.be/FwOlCbGdbqY

Abbreviations used :
lp(s) : Loop(s)                    sc : Single crochet
dc : Double crochet           sp : Space                                           
sl-st : Slip stitch                
st(s) : Stitch(es)                 hk : Hook
yo : Yarn Over                   ch : Chain
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet


Instructions : (Using U.S terminology)
Please note that I start all my rows with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials on all stitches used in today's pattern.  For your convenience, there are tutorials just before you need the stitch along the rows too.
Please read through all my notes before you pick up your hook, so you know just where we're heading in our pattern.
In my patterns I work with the principle of stitch count and body measurement.  This means that you need to work the stitch count in pattern, till you get the measurement (length and/or width) that you need for your project. 

This is not my original pattern  and it’s just one of those wonderful free floating freebies over the net.  I am, as usual, writing down my notes, and am sharing them with you. 


We start our clutch purse at the top and are working along the length of our clutch – i.e the number of stitches you start with will determine the length you want.  
We will then work across side to side till we achieve the width (or height) of clutch purse we desire.

Now this pattern has no chart – but it’s an easy enough one to follow without – sc rows followed by one shell row.. so let’s start.

At the start of each row, I usually work a turning chain - which is just for ease to get to the stitch needed.  If you are able to work without the turning chain, ignore this idea.

By working first on the width and then on the length, using this same pattern, you will get a different end result.  

Try it and let me know.  
Tag me when you share it on social media. 
In case the link does not open, here is the video link on how to work this lovely stitch https://youtu.be/dh3Tt8RKQ_s

Foundation Single Crochet : fsc : https://youtu.be/mcT85fwh4mA  

Start  with fsc in a multiple of 3 for the length of clutch purse you want

Single Crochet : Sc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (2 lps on hk); yo, draw through both lps.  One sc made.  Check out the video at https://youtu.be/ghACqBpA-3k

First stitch for Single Crochet : This is how I like to start my row of sc. Check out the video at https://youtu.be/6pVYRfsf4_M 

Row 1 :  sc in the 1st fsc and each fsc till end. Turn.

Row 2 :  sc the 1st sc and each sc till end.  Turn.

Note : The original pattern has 3 rows of sc, but with the purse yarn, I thought 2 rows sufficed a ‘border’.  
However, choice is yours.  
Do remember that when you finish off, repeat the same number of sc rows you’ve started with.

Double Crochet : dc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk);
[yo, draw through 2 lps] twice.  One dc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/xdnjB27zpYo

Chainless start for Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 / ch – 3 start, and this is what I do to start my row of dc.
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/wskv3iTjRx0

Row 3 : Sk 1st 2 sc ;  
(sc and 2 dc in the next sc) ; 
*sk next 2 sc , rep (to) once* ; 
rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Row 4 : Sk 1st 2 sts ; 
(sc and 2 dc in the next st) ; 
*sk next 2 st , rep (to) once* ; 
rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Repeat Rows 3 / 4 till you have a clutch of the height / width you desire.
If you are working on the width first, you will rep Rows 3 / 4 till you have the length needed for your purse.  Got it?  Great.. enjoy.

2nd Last Row  : sc in the 1st st and each st till the end.  Turn.

Check that you have the same number of stitches that you started with

Last Row  : sc in the 1st sc and each sc till the end.  Turn.

Fasten off then and weave in the ends

Finishing :
Here are a few links on how you can finish your bag up.




Enjoyed this ?? I sure did..come back right here for more freebie patterns 

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  
 
I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/

 
Join me on YouTube at https://youtube.com/shyamanivas 

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/

Have a great day and see you soon. 

If you'd like  to check out some of my other bag patterns, here goes
















































































































Here are some of my other creations.  Have fun with these free patterns too 























and here are a few skirt patterns that you can use your belt for..



Here are some of my tops
                        


























































Here are some of my bolero / jacket / vest creations.  Have fun with these free patterns too






































Here is a list of my earlier miscellaneous home use projects.  Enjoy