Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 25 January 2017

SIS & BRO BEANIES

Sweet Nothings Crochet, beanies, children wear, cap, headwear

SIS & BRO BEANIES
( #Blogaday 25/365 )

I have a really good friend who’s off to the US shortly and as she’s visiting her son and granddaughter and grandson, I thought this would be the ideal gift for the young lady n young man of that family.

Thank you for joining me as we work on two lovely free patterns together.

Materials used : Today I’ve used our lovely Indian Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply yarn and Indian ICE Batik acrylic 4-ply yarn with a 4 mm crochet

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                    ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                    rep : Repeat



Stitches used :
Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self-explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

Here is a sizing chart for general head sizing : https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279837764548/
 
How to join the two ends of your work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGb9pIcsXE


Instructions : (Using U.S terminology)

In keeping with the new trending article in headwear, I thought the young lady should get the trendy pony tail or Messy Bun cap, and the young man should get a neat trendy beanie.  Come along and let’s see what we have here.


1.       Shelled toddler Pony tail cap for Sahana
Sweet Nothings Crochet, beanies, children headwear



For my third Pony Tail cap, I’m using a pattern I’ve written earlier and tweaked it a bit. For the pattern, go to https://shyamanivas.blogspot.in/2016/08/a-cute-little-shelled-hat-headband.html

Sweet Nothings Crochet, shelled hat, children headwear

BUT before you go off, please check out the changes for the Pony tail cap.

For this project I’ve used one skein of Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply in white, and one skein of Oswal Cashmilon 3-ply in pink held together throughout, with a 4 mm crochet hook.

The stitch count repeat for the shelled pattern is 4, so it works out well to start with multiples thereof as well.

The original pattern is meant for a regular beanie, but as I am attempting to make it a pony tail cap, all I did was start with Round 2, and with a chain of 24 fsc, which I joined to to make a circle.  I then worked Round 3 per pattern, so 1 hdc in each sc all around.  Continue the pattern till you get the length needed for your cap, with the only difference being that you will ensure your pony tail cap is about ½ “ shorter than the  size needed on the charts given above.  As we are planning on exposing the top of the head for the bun or the pony tail, you will reduce the length by that half inch. Got it?  Right then, go for it.


2.     Shyam’s Speckled Blue Beanie

Sweet Nothings Crochet, children headwear, boys headwear

For my final beanie for the young man, I’m using a pattern the free pattern at



The designer has used a worsted weight yarn, but I’ve used our Indian Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply yarn and Vardhaman Baby Soft Variegated with a 4 mm crochet hook.

I worked the pattern almost as per instructions.  I started with 8 dc in the magic circle and worked 2 dc in each dc for the next round (as against sc) mainly because I am using a thinner yarn than that prescribed and wanted it to ‘grow’ as quickly as the designer’s would (with her thicker yarn).

For the final border, after the one round of sc to end, I have worked a round of Crab Stitch or Reverse Single Crochet all around.

If you want to work the crab stitch, check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE-ObvYb_Pk

Have fun creating something beautiful and hope the recipient loves it too.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own baby dress.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  OR just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. J

I have a few pieces of headwear already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  J